AppCSXCAD.exe has stopped working (Windows 7, Octave 4.2.0)

Install support for openEMS

Moderators: thorsten, sebastian

chinsoon

AppCSXCAD.exe has stopped working (Windows 7, Octave 4.2.0)

Post by chinsoon » Thu 01 Dec 2016, 10:32

Hi can anyone help, I managed to install openEMS and got it to run in Octave 4.2.0 in Windows 7, and the installation ran successfully through all the verification steps but failed the last step which is the command "CSXGeomPlot('nonexistant.xml')" run from inside Octave, below are the output from the last 2 commands in Octave. After the command "CSXGeomPlot('nonexistant.xml')", a small window pops up with the message "AppCSXCAD.exe has stopped working". Can anyone suggest how to solve this problem?

Thanks very much,
CHIN SOON

>> RunOpenEMS( '.', 'nonexistant.xml', '' )
----------------------------------------------
------------------------
| openEMS 64bit -- version v0.0.34
| (C) 2010-2016 Thorsten Liebig <thorsten.lieb
ig@gmx.de> GPL license
----------------------------------------------
------------------------
Used external libraries:
CSXCAD -- Version: v0.6.1
hdf5 -- Version: 1.8.12
compiled against: HDF
5 library version: 1.8.12
tinyxml -- compiled against: 2.
fparser
boost -- compiled against: 1_5
vtk -- Version: 6.1.0
compiled against: 6.1.0

openEMS: Error File-Loading failed!!! File: non
existant.xml
>> CSXGeomPlot('nonexistant.xml')
invoking AppCSXCAD, exit to continue script...
QCSXCAD - disabling editing

thorsten

Re: AppCSXCAD.exe has stopped working (Windows 7, Octave 4.2

Post by thorsten » Thu 01 Dec 2016, 20:24

Hi,

can you just try to run some of the Tutorials with a proper geometry?

regards
Thorsten

chinsoon

Post by chinsoon » Fri 02 Dec 2016, 04:45

Hi Thorsten, ok let me try to run something from the tutorials. Let me check them out.

BTW, thanks very much for making this EM simulation tool open-source and available for the rest of us out here :)

Thanks,
Chin Soon

chinsoon

Post by chinsoon » Fri 02 Dec 2016, 05:08

Hi Thorsten, I ran tutorials "Helical_Antenna.m" and "Rect_Waveguide.m" in Octave.

"Helical_Antenna.m" opened a small window with message "AppCSXCAD.exe has stopped working" but after I clicked on the "Close program" button in that small window, the tutorial continued to run in Octave, starting the FDTD simulations and running through the simulation, but at the end it opened up another small window which said "octave-gui.exe has stopped working" and when I clicked on the button "Close program", the whole Octave software closed and exited altogether.

"Rect_Waveguide.m" started the FDTD simulations and ran through the simulation, but at the end it also opened up a small window which said "octave-gui.exe has stopped working" and when I clicked on the button "Close program", the whole Octave software closed and exited altogether.

So it seems there is a problem running some of the *.exe files which involve GUIs opening up. Any suggestions on how to resolve this? Thanks very much.

Best wishes,
Chin Soon

chinsoon

Post by chinsoon » Fri 02 Dec 2016, 05:38

Ok I managed to fix the "octave-gui.exe has stopped working" problem by following the instructions given here:
http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?46702

which says:
in the Octave command line type in: graphics_toolkit,
then switch the default toolkit to gnuplot:
graphics_toolkit('gnuplot')

After this fix, Octave could generate pop-up windows with graphical plots.

But the "AppCSXCAD.exe has stopped working" still exists after that. So still need a fix for "AppCSXCAD.exe has stopped working".

Thanks,
Chin Soon

thorsten

Post by thorsten » Fri 02 Dec 2016, 20:00

I think I have not seen this problem before. Quite ddd...
Which version did you install? Have you tried an older version? (v0.0.33 or v0.0.32 maybe)
http://openems.de/download/win64/

Have you tried to run AppCSXCAD independently by just clicking on the AppCSXCAD.exe ?
In which folder on which driver did you install it. Maybe try just plain C:

regards
Thorsten

chinsoon

Post by chinsoon » Sun 04 Dec 2016, 19:16

Hi Thorsten, I installed the latest version of openEMS, the 64-bit version for Windows.
Ok I will try an older version just to check. I will be able to check this in maybe 2 days' time.

Yes I tried running AppCSXCAD.exe by itself by clicking on it in Windows explorer, but the same problem occurs.
I installed openEMS in directory path C:\openEMS\, so directly at the C: root path.

Thanks for all your help.
Best wishes,
Chin Soon

chinsoon

Post by chinsoon » Wed 07 Dec 2016, 09:48

Hi Thorsten, I just un-installed the latest version of openEMS, and installed older version openEMS_x64_v0.0.32, putting it directly under C:\ drive as directory path C:\openEMS\.

I ran openEMS v0.0.32 under Octave 4.2.0 (GUI version) and went through all the "First steps" verification steps in Octave which ran fine, except for command "CSXGeomPlot('nonexistant.xml')" which invoked AppCSXCAD.exe but it did not pop-up any small window at all. Here is the command line output from Octave:

>> CSXGeomPlot('nonexistant.xml')
invoking AppCSXCAD, exit to continue script...
>>

I also ran tutorial program "Rect_Waveguide.m" which ran through the simulation and successfully popped-up the graphical plot window Figures 1, 2 & 3. Below are the last few output lines in Octave. I am not sure whether there is supposed to be any additional pop-up window that should be triggered by AppCSXCAD.exe in this matlab script?

warning: text_renderer: skipping missing glyph for character '2111'
warning: called from
text at line 156 column 10
legend at line 592 column 29
Rect_Waveguide at line 107 column 3
>>

Note all this is running under Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1 (64-bit).

Thanks and Best wishes,
Chin Soon

thorsten

Post by thorsten » Wed 07 Dec 2016, 10:24

Hi,

I have really no idea what is going on, but it seems it has something to do with your Windows? AppCSXCAD uses vtk for the 3D stuff. Are you graphics drivers ok? Can you try other OpenGL software. Maybe you try Paraview. It uses a similar Qt + vtk setup...

regards
Thorsten

chinsoon

Post by chinsoon » Wed 07 Dec 2016, 10:44

Hi Thorsten, thanks very much for your speedy feedback and advice. I will try out Paraview too and recheck my Windows installation and let you know if any progress on my side. In the meantime if you can think of anything else that I could try out/check please let me know - thanks.

Best wishes,
Chin Soon