No success building on Mint 19

Install support for openEMS

Moderators: thorsten, sebastian

luis

No success building on Mint 19

Post by luis » Tue 21 Aug 2018, 18:02

Hello,

I'm running linux mint 19.0 and had a number of issues while trying to build openEMS,
lib vtk5 was not available so I just replaced it by vtk6... hope that is ok.

had some trouble also with gcc ver 7 as it said could not find CXX compiler but later this
I added CXX=gcc to the environment but all stayed the same. Not sure what else I have tried and later the
error disappeared... (kind of irrelevant but I post this bit of info just for the sake of completeness of all my steps)

Then it builds up to certain point and I presume it fails at the linker... end of the log file is pasted below.
Any help ?

( btw, I've also trying to install from the binaries from the dac922 ppa (https://launchpad.net/~dac922/+archive/ubuntu/openems)
but the ppa does not support 'bionic' and that is what latest Ubunto and Mint does on the latest versions... so no luck here either)

Thanks.
Luis.

...[ 87%] Linking CXX executable openEMS
/usr/bin/x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: CMakeFiles/openEMS_bin.dir/main.cpp.o: undefined reference to symbol '_ZNSt8ios_base4InitD1Ev@@GLIBCXX_3.4'
//usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: error adding symbols: DSO missing from command line
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
CMakeFiles/openEMS_bin.dir/build.make:137: recipe for target 'openEMS' failed
make[5]: *** [openEMS] Error 1
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:67: recipe for target 'CMakeFiles/openEMS_bin.dir/all' failed
make[4]: *** [CMakeFiles/openEMS_bin.dir/all] Error 2
Makefile:129: recipe for target 'all' failed
make[3]: *** [all] Error 2
CMakeFiles/openEMS.dir/build.make:112: recipe for target 'openEMS-prefix/src/openEMS-stamp/openEMS-build' failed
make[2]: *** [openEMS-prefix/src/openEMS-stamp/openEMS-build] Error 2
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:142: recipe for target 'CMakeFiles/openEMS.dir/all' failed
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/openEMS.dir/all] Error 2
Makefile:83: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2

luis

Re: Solved - No success building on Mint 19

Post by luis » Mon 27 Aug 2018, 05:41

Replying to my own post :-(

I could not make any sense out of the errors that I was getting so I undo/remove as most as I could
and repeated the build attempt from start (installing manually cmake and vtk6)

All built without problem.

because of my messy attempts I did before it is not easy for me to report now what was wrong/missing
to build for mint 19.0. Soon I will have a chance to build on a fresh mint 19.0 and will take notes and will let you
all know.

Luis.

thorsten

Re: No success building on Mint 19

Post by thorsten » Mon 27 Aug 2018, 14:06

Hi,

I think there were some issues on Ubuntu 18.04 (which Mint 19 is based on right?).
If I find the time I will setup a VM with Ubuntu and give it a try myself.
At some point I dream from having an openEMS as flatpak which should make life easier?

regards
Thorsten

fernando

Post by fernando » Fri 05 Oct 2018, 01:22

Dear Thorsten,

Yes please. It would be a dream if you could provide a flatpak with openEMS :-).

Currently, the compilation implies downloading more than 1 GB of dependencies that I will not download because I would not like that my production environment breaks due to incompatibilities. So, flatpak would be a very nice solution.

Nowadays, the windows versions seems the only easy installation environment.

Thanks for openEMS,
Fernando

luis

Post by luis » Mon 03 Dec 2018, 21:09

Hello,

It ended up quite simple. (tested successfully on two fresh/clean installed machines).

for bionic based like Mint19 / Ubuntu 18.04... the lib install should be as follows.

sudo apt-get install build-essential git cmake libhdf5-dev libvtk6-dev libboost-all-dev libcgal-dev libtinyxml-dev libqt4-dev libvtk6-qt-dev

I would say that a simple update of the install web page adding this alternative for the "bionic" distros would do just fine.
(but surely a flathub or appimage is quite appealing...)

I noticed also that the lib install (as above) followed by the paste of a built image into a folder
works also like a charm... kind of a poor-man's appimage ;)

Luis.
p.s. Thorsten, thanks A LOT for this fantastic package.

asdf

Post by asdf » Thu 03 Jan 2019, 01:58

I can't install on mint 19. I have depedencies as luis. I tried also vtk7 - it didn't help.

/home/michal/build/openEMS-Project/AppCSXCAD/main.cpp:20:10: fatal error: QVTKOpenGLWidget.h: No such file or directory
#include <QVTKOpenGLWidget.h>
^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
Attachments
build_20190103_004511.log
(52.53 KiB) Downloaded 145 times

thorsten

Post by thorsten » Thu 03 Jan 2019, 09:29

That is an error due to a false include for the vtk8 updates. I just pushed an untested fix. Update the git repositories and try again please

asdf

Post by asdf » Thu 03 Jan 2019, 23:19

It works :) Thanks!