Installing openEMS on Ubuntu 16.04 of an AWS cloud instance possible?

Install support for openEMS

Moderators: thorsten, sebastian

hannesko

Installing openEMS on Ubuntu 16.04 of an AWS cloud instance possible?

Post by hannesko » Wed 03 Jun 2020, 11:09

Hello,

I am new to openEMS. So far I have been using MEEP for simulations of electromagnetic field propagation caused by lightning strikes over various terrain. I see a lot of potential in openEMS where it can beat MEEP with respect to the stuff that I do / need.

I have somehow been dependent on cloud computing because of large available resources that meet the requirements of my studies.
1) I wonder if anyone has experience with the installation of openEMS on AWS instances with e.g. Ubuntu 16.04?
2) Is looks like openEMS interacts quite closely with CAD tooling (AppCSXCAD), which seems to be the means for initialization of the geometric domain (sources, structures, etc). Is this integral part of openEMS and therefore the *only way* for the user to "interface" the FDTD grid operations? Or could the grid & sources be initialized in other ways too?

Thank you very much in advance for your help!

Best regards,
Hannes

thorsten

Re: Installing openEMS on Ubuntu 16.04 of an AWS cloud instance possible?

Post by thorsten » Mon 08 Jun 2020, 18:53

Hi Hannes,

openEMS itself only depends on the CSXCAD library and both have to interface to any GUI elements and ran run nicely on a server without any graphical interface. All you need to transfer simulation data and run openEMS is for example an SSH access. This is what I did plenty in the past.
Thus if on Ubuntu 16.04 runs on your servers openEMS should run nicely. There are matlab functions to automatically send the required data to your server and run openEMS remotely.

See here for more infos: Remote_SSH (old but hopefully still helpful)
If you need more infos, let me know.

regards
Thorsten