Linux Server Installation

Install support for openEMS

Moderators: thorsten, sebastian

kmalone10

Linux Server Installation

Post by kmalone10 » Thu 22 Oct 2020, 20:03

Hello,

I am trying to install openEMS on a Linux server (it has 4.18). Unfortunately I keep running into an error in one of the C++ files in CSXCAD that fails the make, and consequently the build, of openEMS on the server. I've tried to resolve the error but I am not fluent enough in C++ to fix it. These are the error lines that come up:

Code: Select all

[ 53%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/CSXCAD.dir/CSPrimPolyhedronReader.cpp.o
/home/matlab/openEMS/CSXCAD/src/CSPrimPolyhedronReader.cpp: In member function 'virtual bool CSPrimPolyhedronReader::ReadFile()':
/home/matlab/openEMS/CSXCAD/src/CSPrimPolyhedronReader.cpp:167:34: error: cannot bind non-const lvalue reference of type 'const vtkIdType*&' {aka 'const long long int*&'} to an rvalue of type 'const vtkIdType*' {aka 'const long long int*'}
  while (verts->GetNextCell(numP, const_cast<vtkIdType*>(vertices)))
                                  ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In file included from /usr/local/include/vtk-9.0/vtkPolyData.h:68,
                 from /usr/local/include/vtk-9.0/vtkPolyDataAlgorithm.h:36,
                 from /usr/local/include/vtk-9.0/vtkAbstractPolyDataReader.h:34,
                 from /usr/local/include/vtk-9.0/vtkSTLReader.h:38,
                 from /home/matlab/openEMS/CSXCAD/src/CSPrimPolyhedronReader.cpp:24:
/usr/local/include/vtk-9.0/vtkCellArray.h:1419:12: note:   initializing argument 2 of 'int vtkCellArray::GetNextCell(vtkIdType&, const vtkIdType*&)'
 inline int vtkCellArray::GetNextCell(vtkIdType& npts, vtkIdType const*& pts) VTK_SIZEHINT(pts, npts)
            ^~~~~~~~~~~~
make[5]: *** [src/CMakeFiles/CSXCAD.dir/build.make:323: src/CMakeFiles/CSXCAD.dir/CSPrimPolyhedronReader.cpp.o] Error 1
make[4]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:86: src/CMakeFiles/CSXCAD.dir/all] Error 2
make[3]: *** [Makefile:130: all] Error 2
make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/CSXCAD.dir/build.make:112: CSXCAD-prefix/src/CSXCAD-stamp/CSXCAD-build] Error 2
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:143: CMakeFiles/CSXCAD.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:84: all] Error 2

I think I've gotten so far that there is an error in line 167 of the CSPrimPolyhedronReader.cpp file, something about constant and non-constant value allocation. Beyond that my googling of the error has not amounted to much. Below are a few lines surrounding 167 (the while statement):

vtkIdType numP;
	vtkIdType *vertices = new vtkIdType[10];
	while (verts->GetNextCell(numP, vertices))
	{
		face f;
		f.numVertex=numP;
		f.vertices = new int[f.numVertex];
		for (unsigned int np=0;np<f.numVertex;++np)
			f.vertices[np]=vertices[np];
		AddFace(f);
	}
	return true;

Any help is greatly appreciated, and let me know if you need any more information that may be helpful.

Thank you for your time
Last edited by kmalone10 on Fri 30 Oct 2020, 00:13, edited 1 time in total.

thorsten

Re: Linux Server Installation: Error in CSXCAD/CSPrimPolyhedronReader.cpp

Post by thorsten » Thu 22 Oct 2020, 20:12

Both seems to be related to vtk9. vtk 9 is very new and I have never tried to build against version 9. I guess I will have to adapt to the new vtk as for many major new version before.
I can only assume you build vtk yourself? I recommend to just use the distribution versions or at least try an older vtk (e.g. 8.2)

let me know if this helps...

br
Thorsten

kmalone10

Re: Linux Server Installation: Error in CSXCAD/CSPrimPolyhedronReader.cpp

Post by kmalone10 » Fri 23 Oct 2020, 21:45

Hi Thorsten,

Thanks for the quick reply, that fixed it!

Unfortunately I've ran into another road block in the matlab interface when executing a file. When I run any file in examples or Tutorials (like Patch_Antenna.m for example) the openEMS executable is not dumping any file into the 'tmp' directory except for the .xml file. I've attached the log file below:

LogFile: 'openEMS.log'

---------------------------------------------------------------------- 
 | openEMS 64bit -- version v0.0.35
 | (C) 2010-2016 Thorsten Liebig <thorsten.liebig@gmx.de>  GPL license
 ---------------------------------------------------------------------- 
	Used external libraries:
		CSXCAD -- Version: v0.6.2
		hdf5   -- Version: 1.10.5
		          compiled against: HDF5 library version: 1.10.5
		tinyxml -- compiled against: 2.6.2
		fparser
		boost  -- compiled against: 1_66
		vtk -- Version: 8.2.0
		       compiled against: 8.2.0

openEMS - verbose level 3
openEMS - dump simulation statistics to 'openEMS_run_stats.txt' and 'openEMS_stats.txt'
openEMS - dumping CSX geometry to 'debugCSX.xml'
Read openEMS xml file: patch_ant.xml ...
Read openEMS Settings...
Read Geometry...
Error using load
Unable to read file 'tmp/port_ut1'. No such file or directory.

Error in ReadUI (line 64)
    tmp = load( fullfile(path,filenames{n}) );

Error in Patch_Antenna (line 136)
U = ReadUI( {'port_ut1','et'}, 'tmp/', freq ); % time domain/freq domain voltage

The 'Error using load' part and down is because the 'port_u1' (or any other output) is not being created. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

kmalone10

Re: Linux Server Installation

Post by kmalone10 » Fri 30 Oct 2020, 00:20

Hello,

I have tried resolving the issue but I have not been able to yet. I have more detailed information about the error.

openEMS - verbose level 3
Read openEMS xml file: patch_ant.xml ...
Read openEMS Settings...
Read Geometry...
free(): invalid pointer
/home/matlab/opt/openEMS/bin/openEMS.sh patch_ant.xml -vvv: Aborted

I've tried changing the 'tmp' directory and xml directory file paths, but I get either the "free(): invalid pointer" error above, "openEMS: Error File-Loading failed!!! File: patch_ant.xml:", or a Segmentation fault. The xml file is being made and it is not empty, and I've made sure I have permissions to write files in the directory, so I am pretty stuck.

Any help or recommendations is greatly appreciated.

kmalone10

Re: Linux Server Installation

Post by kmalone10 » Mon 02 Nov 2020, 19:54

This issue has been resolved. Another user had posted a thread (https://www.openems.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=993) in the "Usage" section of the forum with the same issue within a couple days of this one that has a link to the github page. It looks like installing openEMS from the Linux "Compile from Source" page on Ubuntu version 18+ may cause a segmentation fault, so the solution is to install the newest version on github under "openEMS-Project".

Thank you Thorsten and Lee for (indirectly) helping solve my issue!