Stripline simulation - setup problem?

How to use openEMS. Discussion on examples, tutorials etc

Moderator: thorsten

jockeosth

Re: Stripline simulation - setup problem?

Post by jockeosth » Mon 06 Feb 2017, 23:00

Hi again!

The updated mesh solved the problem. I need to be more careful with the mesh definitions :)
I update the code to run with stripline port with termination in lumped-R or in a PML-8. When I use lumped-R I get coupling as expected. However, if I use PML to terminate the ports I don't get the expected coupling between the two lines. Probably some misuse or misunderstanding from me?

Asymmetrical striplines are quite common in PCB systems and I think I may use the lumped port with termination to the closest reference plane (because of strongest coupling) with quite good results?
Unfortunately I don't know how the expected outcome in terms of E-field distribution will be.

Best regards
Joakim
Attachments
stripline_CouplerAsymetric2.m
(7.29 KiB) Downloaded 176 times

thorsten

Re: Stripline simulation - setup problem?

Post by thorsten » Tue 07 Feb 2017, 19:52

Well you measurement plane is a bit close to the feed plane, but I'm not sure if this is really an issue.

I would rather question the overall approach. What is it that you want to do? Have two lines couple? Ok, but then you have to start measuring the voltage/currents on the beginning of that coupled line? "Behind" the port there should be no coupling any more? Certainly not running into the PML, maybe my tip in this regards was not really good.
That said I think I would approach this differently. I think you should create a finite structure with air and MUR (or PML) all around. And use only a lumped port at the edges (not a stripline port) of the substrate.
These port would look more like connectors at the ends.
The MSL or stripline port are more meant to have a really ideal calibrated method to extract waves, but that is not really what you want...

regards
Thorsten