Release Notes on openEMS v0.0.31

News about openEMS

Moderators: thorsten, sebastian

thorsten

Release Notes on openEMS v0.0.31

Post by thorsten » Tue 01 Oct 2013, 10:32

It have been over 9 month now since the last release. And from the number of changes this could have been v0.0.32 or even v0.0.33...
But it is finally done and the next improvements are already on its way ;)

What are the most important changes? AppCSXCAD has a new 2D view mode based on the vtk 3D view. We now have full support for multi-polar Drude/Lorentz/Debye dispersive material, the SAR calculation has been improved, a new function for converting the virtual family body model, simplified debugging of metal discretization and most importantly some new tutorials and examples (see below).

What openEMS really needs for a v1.0 release are some helping hands concerning the documentation on the wiki. Maybe all of you just start at the overview-page and follow all the "red links" and start editing? Any help would be appreciated!

Finally here is a short list of all major changes: Have fun using openEMS. As always I would welcome any feedback.

regards
Thorsten

lolicon945

Re: Release Notes on openEMS v0.0.31

Post by lolicon945 » Mon 21 Oct 2013, 11:20

Thanks for your excellent work.
I've installed the software onto my gentoo/linux box from source code.
I added

Code: Select all

DEFINES += TIXML_USE_STL
in the file openEMS-Project/QSCXCAD/QCSXCAD.pro,
or the compiling of AppQSCXCAD would get an error.
And I haven't got the mpi, so I also delete the -lvtkParallel in the file and the mpi support options in openEMS.pro as well.
I think this information may be of some help.
Thank you.

Regards.

thorsten

Post by thorsten » Mon 21 Oct 2013, 11:31

Hi,

this is helpful of course.
I will test and add your suggestions. Thanks.

One question, did you use the openEMS-Project repo and build & installed using "update_openEMS.sh" script?
Did that work as it should on gentoo (exept of course what you mentioned)?

Edit: maybe you can post the steps necessary to install all required packages to build from source?

regards
Thorsten

lolicon945

Post by lolicon945 » Wed 23 Oct 2013, 11:10

Hi, I used to compile the openEMS manually according to the order in update script.
I try the automatic installation on my linux today.
1. In "update_openEMS.sh" change the qmake-qt4 to qmake. (I only have qmake. :-))
2. In "QCSXCAD.pro" comment the -lvtkParallel line and add the DEFINES += TIXML_USE_STL.
3. In "openEMS.pro" comment the MPI supporting options and the -lmpi -lmpi_cxx line.
4. In "nf2ff.pro" comment the -lmpi -lmpi_cxx line and add the DEFINES += TIXML_USE_STL.
The update script goes smoothly and fast and the openEMS works. That's wonderful.

Thanks for your reply.
Regards

thorsten

Post by thorsten » Wed 23 Oct 2013, 13:50

Hi,

I think all your changes are now in the github tree.
3. In "openEMS.pro" comment the MPI supporting options
I'm not sure what you mean by that. The "-lmpi -lmpi_cxx line." was removed some time ago already (but after v0.0.31)
(I only have qmake. :-))
This is strange, I thought that Qt4 always comes with a qmake-qt4. Usually qmake is just a sym. link to qmake-qt4.
On my system qmake already points to a qmake for qt5.
Are you sure you don't have a qmake-qt4 ?

regards
Thorsten

sebastian

Post by sebastian » Wed 23 Oct 2013, 18:20

qmake-qt4 is Debian specific (ok Fedora uses it also). Stock Qt has only qmake.
The script could try qmake-qt4 and if that fails try qmake (and hope it is the correct version; some grep magic here?)

Sebastian

thorsten

Post by thorsten » Wed 23 Oct 2013, 20:24

Thanks for the info, I assumed that if Debian (Ubuntu) and Fedora are doing it, it is kind of normal.
What do the others if soon qt4 and qt5 are going to be installed in parallel?

Thorsten

lolicon945

Post by lolicon945 » Mon 28 Oct 2013, 04:05

Hi
I found the “LIBS += -lmpi -lmpi_cxx” in openEMS.pro line: 102, so I commented it. I thought it may cause an error without MPI being installed, but I've not tested that case.

Regards.

chrisf

Post by chrisf » Sun 23 Feb 2014, 06:20

thorsten wrote:[*] new tutorials and examples: a bent patch antenna, dipole-SAR, MRI loop coil, MRI birdcage, patch antenna phased array and an inverted F-antenna example
I can't see the inverted F-antenna example anywhere. I'd be really interested to learn how to do that. Did I miss it?

EDIT: Sorry, I found it. In Examples rather than Tutorials. :oops: