work areas, desirable features

Discussion about new features and development support

Moderator: thorsten

thorsten

Re: work areas, desirable features

Post by thorsten » Wed 01 Mar 2017, 23:13

Well I just pushed the latest changes I made and merged the python branch into master.
Thus this branch is now abandoned...
But again, this is far from ready or finished and until it is, I will still just change the API with no regards if I break your existing code...

regards
Thorsten

pedro

Post by pedro » Wed 01 Mar 2017, 23:42

Thanks Thorsten.

Linux user here, but I do eventually stumble into some windows machines.

I would like to test it and maybe contribute if I can. But I am not sure about helping with Visual C...

Regards,

pedro

Post by pedro » Wed 01 Mar 2017, 23:44

gmichel wrote:Hi Pedro,

the Python interface is not yet end user ready. Nevertheless it is functional. For productive use I would still recommend the Matlab/Octave interface. That being said, you can do a recursive git clone of openEMS-Project as described in the install instructions. Then execute "git checkout python" in the subdirectories "CSXCAD" and "openEMS". Afterwards you will see sub-directories "python" in each.

Good luck
Georg
Thanks!

thorsten

Post by thorsten » Thu 02 Mar 2017, 00:42

Well as I said, it is now in master. Just clone recursively and follow these instructions: http://openems.de/doc/openEMS

regards
Thorsten

LowDepth

Post by LowDepth » Wed 24 May 2017, 15:07

Hi Thorsten,
I will finally go for point no. 5, namely the periodic boundary conditions (PBC). I think the implementation of IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag. 54, 6, 1818-... (2006) "Spectral FDTD: A Novel Technique for the Analysis of Oblique Incident Plane Wave on Periodic Structures"
would be a smart way of implementing this for my purposes.
Can you help me getting started? You already mentioned the engine_extensions to start with and I had a look... Shall I start a new thread to discuss the PBCs?

Best regards
Stefan

thorsten

Post by thorsten » Wed 24 May 2017, 19:52

Hi Stefan,

can you send me the paper as pdf via Email?
Can you help me getting started?
- I can only hope you will do this on Linux, because everything else would be a bad idea...
- Make sure you can build openEMS alone and not by using the "update_openEMS" shell script.
What I do for this is create a file called: "localConfig.cmake" in the openEMS folder with this contents:

Code: Select all

SET(WITH_MPI 0)
SET(FPARSER_ROOT_DIR /usr/local)
SET(CSXCAD_ROOT_DIR ~/opt/openEMS)
SET(CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX ~/opt/openEMS)
where "~/opt/openEMS" is the folder I have installed openEMS (e.g. build with the shell script)

- Choose a good IDE, I can recommend QtCreator, there you can load the main openEMS cmake project. Test to clean build from there and see that everything works fine... Especially make sure the "make install" step copies the binary to "~/opt/openEMS" and thus you test the correct version later with e.g. Octave.
- Then you can start creating your own new operator_extension and engine_extension. Remember to add them in the correct cmake file (in the folder FDTD/extensions)
- About how to commit and publish your work we can talk later ;)
Shall I start a new thread to discuss the PBCs?
Yes please... I'm sure you will have plenty of questions.

regards
Thorsten

thorsten

Post by thorsten » Thu 25 May 2017, 08:40

I have create a new sub-forum for development discussion and moved this thread there/here too...

VinTz1

Post by VinTz1 » Tue 13 Jun 2017, 15:21

Hi all,
I discovered this project while looking for some open source em simulator, this is exactly what I needed!! I work in electromagnetic research and I think it is a great contribution to the open-source world.

Actually I would like to add some features (if I ever got the time for that). The main one is the computation of the sensibility of the em response with respect to the physical dimensions, that is something that you can get analytically from the Maxwell equations and provides very useful information. It is not very difficult to implement and in fact I think there is no commercial software that does it (either they compute it by finite differences or compute it wrong).

What do you think about that?

Best regards and thaks for the nice work,
David

Michael

Post by Michael » Fri 29 Mar 2019, 19:13

thorsten wrote:
Wed 01 Mar 2017, 22:31
I fear that it will end in me having to compile everything using the MSVC... :cry:
Any help in this area would be appreciated...
I have no knowledge about Python and the other things you were talking about,
but I can help in getting OpenEMS ready to compile with MSVC2010 using qmake.
I had already a look into the code. It should not be to complicated.

Regards,
Michael

thorsten

Post by thorsten » Fri 29 Mar 2019, 19:28

That would be great. Accoring to this Visual C++ 14 would be needed for python 3.6 and 3.7 which I think is MSVC 2015?

regards
Thorsten