.XML File Definitions and source code for RunOpenEMS only

Install support for openEMS

Moderators: thorsten, sebastian

McStevenF

.XML File Definitions and source code for RunOpenEMS only

Post by McStevenF » Wed 10 Apr 2013, 23:12

I would like to generate my own .XML files that define a simulation and execute RunOpenEMS() on the defined simulation. Is there documentation on the structures/options that you support in the .XML files? Also, what source code is required for RunOpenEMS()? What are the library dependencies?

sebastian

Re: .XML File Definitions and source code for RunOpenEMS onl

Post by sebastian » Thu 11 Apr 2013, 07:16

yeah, the xml file is fully documented: as source files inside CSDXCAD. Just kidding.
Take a look at the different Matlab function. They write small snippets to the xml file. That should get you started.
RunOpenEMS() has no additional dependencies apart from openems itself (it calls the main executable via a Matlab system command).

Sebastian

thorsten

Post by thorsten » Thu 11 Apr 2013, 09:06

The easiest way is most likely to create xml-files with Matlab and have a look at it in an editor.
OpenEMS itself is self-contained, just execute it with your xml file as parameter.

Just out of curiosity, why and how do you intend to create the xml files?
You may keep in mind that we have a lot of advanced Matlab function, that do much more than just write the xml file.
For example the ports or the mesh detecting/smoothing functions... To rebuild this all will be very much work.

If it is because of the Matlab license, you can use Octave as a free alternative. You can even include Octave in C/C++ Code and therefore even our Matlab/Octave-Interface..

Our you use some other tools to automatically create an m-file that gets executed by Octave...

regards
Thorsten

McStevenF

Post by McStevenF » Fri 12 Apr 2013, 16:52

Thanks for the info. I want to create an FDTD web server for a 3D CAD web app that I am developing.

P.S. The xml module for octave on windows has some errors which prevents execution of the tutorials.

thorsten

Post by thorsten » Fri 12 Apr 2013, 18:06

P.S. The xml module for octave on windows has some errors which prevents execution of the tutorials.
Can you be more specific? Which version of Octave etc. I haven't seen a problem for some time.
Thanks for the info. I want to create an FDTD web server for a 3D CAD web app that I am developing.
Sounds ambitious, but I really recommend you write m-files to use the Octave-Interface... (edited)

And if you want to hear my opinion: don't use Windows for a Web-Server ;)
Ocatev and openEMS run much better/faster on Linux, and any web-server on Linux is much quicker, safer and easier to maintain than it ever will on Windows...
And with a ready to go LAMP, e.g. like this: http://www.turnkeylinux.org/lampstack,
it is setup in minutes as well...

regards
Thorsten

McStevenF

Post by McStevenF » Sat 13 Apr 2013, 20:59

Your going to think that I am crazy and insanely ambitious but I would like to create a conventional web server under linux as well as user installable local web servers for windows, linux, and perhaps OS/X. This would put all of the user interface code in the browser. Now please tell me why this a stupid idea.

thorsten

Post by thorsten » Sun 14 Apr 2013, 21:44

Well I think this is ambitious, but I don't know why it should be stupid.

Maybe you can be a little more specif?
- What should this interface look like? Like an IDE or scripting interface as well?
- What should be better than a conventional Matlab/Octave environment?
- How do you want to e.g. display the structures (AppCSXCAD)?
- How do you want to represent results (plots, Paraview etc.)

I just have my doubts that something this complex and very specif like an FDTD solver is suited for a Web-App...

regards
Thorsten