Split-Ring Resonator

How to use openEMS. Discussion on examples, tutorials etc

Moderator: thorsten

awal9

Split-Ring Resonator

Post by awal9 » Mon 17 Jun 2019, 22:28

Hello,

I am trying to simulate a SRR in order to help with the actual design, but I am having trouble. I am in my first year of grad school and in an experimental lab so computational stuff is not really my forte and any help would be greatly appreciated. Eventually, I want to do a frequency sweep to see at what frequency I get my lowest reflection coefficient. Then, I will try different gap locations to see where I can get the largest electric field difference across the gap. I have patched together some code from the tutorials and examples and I am sure it has a bunch of issues, but for right now I just want to focus on the following issue. When I run the code, it says my requested excitation pulse would be 3,586,875,305 timesteps which would take way too long to run. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong or what I can change to fix it?
SRR2.m
(5.21 KiB) Downloaded 239 times
Thanks for the help!

thorsten

Re: Split-Ring Resonator

Post by thorsten » Wed 19 Jun 2019, 21:00

substrate.mue = 1.26e-9; % magnetic permeability
"Mue" in openEMS is the relative value, thus it should never be (much) smaller than one!
This will already kill your timestep.
Other reasons may be that you mesh is too dense for your choosen frequency.

awal9

Post by awal9 » Thu 20 Jun 2019, 17:54

Thank you! Mue was causing the issues. I was being stupid and I shouldn't have been using that for the substrate anyway since that was for something else and it was the permeability and not the relative permeability. You mentioned the mesh density could possibly be too dense for the frequency. The wiki page says how to find the max cell size from smallest wavelength, but it doesn't say anything about the smallest. Is there a rule of thumb for about how dense a mesh should be for a given frequency or is it just make it as large as possible so that there is not much change in the results?

gopugnair11

Post by gopugnair11 » Thu 19 Nov 2020, 08:12

thorsten wrote:
Wed 19 Jun 2019, 21:00
substrate.mue = 1.26e-9; % magnetic permeability
"Mue" in openEMS is the relative value, thus it should never be (much) smaller than one!
This will already kill your timestep.
Other reasons may be that you mesh is too dense for your choosen frequency.
Sir how can we draw the ring structure at the corner of the patch? How should I choose the coordinates?