Plotting fields in Paraview

How to use openEMS. Discussion on examples, tutorials etc

Moderator: thorsten

fabian

Plotting fields in Paraview

Post by fabian » Sat 21 May 2022, 20:31

Hi everyon,
I am trying to plot some fields in Paraview, without any luck so far. The only thing I get are zero-fields. I used the "Tutorial: Parallel Plate Waveguide" without modifications and it does not work. What am I doing wrong?
Attached is a screenshot of Paraview.

Thanks a lot :)
Fabian
Screenshot_20220521_203744_2.png
Screenshot_20220521_203744_2.png (56.64 KiB) Viewed 523 times

valege

Re: Plotting fields in Paraview

Post by valege » Mon 23 May 2022, 06:23

Hello Fabian,

from what I see paraview shows the E-Field and the Magnitude so this should be correct. In my experience the three most probable possibilities are:
a) the scale is too "coarse", you can set the scale green arrows that look like this: <-> , they are located in the top left corner , around below "Sources" maybe rescale the field to all times and see again (note that rescale to all times can be misleading when a time interval dominates everything)?

b) the dump box is correct and there are no fields, maybe there is a typo in your script or the meshing is not correct and your source is unused?

c) maybe use a different representation? Wireframe is maybe not the best but I like it the most to see if there is some signal

you could also check your model with
the command RunOpenEMS( Sim_Path, Sim_CSX, '--debug-PEC --no-simulation');
and then look at your meshed structure
(thanks to thorsten for this tip)

fabian

Post by fabian » Mon 23 May 2022, 13:24

OK, got it. You have to change the timestep to see something. It makes sense, but was not obvious to me.

Thanks anyway :)

_neil_

Post by _neil_ » Mon 23 May 2022, 20:10

You need to read in a group folder, make sure you press 'apply', and press the green button at the top to run the file to display the video.

The you need to make sure you press the third button from the left on the bottom line in the attachment, which autoscales the intensity in the video.

Sometimes i press 'Solid' and 'E-field' a few times to make it work. It not greatly intuitive but after a degree of messing about with it i'm sure you'll get it working.

good luck, N