Ex,y,z component far-fields from CalcNF2FF

How to use openEMS. Discussion on examples, tutorials etc

Moderator: thorsten

_neil_

Ex,y,z component far-fields from CalcNF2FF

Post by _neil_ » Sat 11 Jun 2022, 22:29

Can i access the x,y,z, component E-(far)fields directly after the CalcNF2FF routine has run?

In the calculation of the radar cross-section (tutorial RCS_Sphere.m), the far field Prad is very nicely calculated from the CalcNF2FF routine and accessible from the returned structure. However, i'd like to access the x,y,z E-field far field components directly in the code. Can i do this directly?

I see there are *.h5 files created by the CalcNF2FF and i guess perhaps the E-fields components are contained within. However, is there a method to get the far-field components out directly, without having to access the *h5 files?

many thanks,
Neil

thorsten

Re: Ex,y,z component far-fields from CalcNF2FF

Post by thorsten » Sun 19 Jun 2022, 14:40

I'm pretty sure that all this data is included in the nf2ff data returned by CalcNF2FF as this is what is plotted as a pattern for example.

regards
Thorsten

_neil_

Re: Ex,y,z component far-fields from CalcNF2FF

Post by _neil_ » Wed 29 Jun 2022, 10:27

Thank you for your help.

Yes, i see i can get far-fields directly from CalcNF2FF in the frequency domain. However, I need far-fields in the time domain. I managed to get the time domain far-fields by making an inverse FFT on the frequency domain far-fields. The resulting time domain signals look correct (probably Nyquist sampled ~lambda/2), but the sampling on this was far sparser than on the local E-fields from the probe, these being sampled at the lambda/20 criterion for a reliable functioning FDTD calculation.

So the question is, can i get time domain far-fields directly from CalcNF2FF at the same sampling (ie lambda/20) as that for the probe time domain (near-field) E-fields?

many thanks,
Neil