Bent Patch Antenna

How to use openEMS. Discussion on examples, tutorials etc

Moderator: thorsten

anho

Bent Patch Antenna

Post by anho » Thu 11 Mar 2021, 00:29

Hello!

I am a new user to openEMS and am interested to do antenna simulations in order to calculate radiation patterns and gains due to plasma environment. I will be getting the plasma environment from CFD simulations.

I had a specific question regarding the bent patch antenna setup. Can it be bent to conform to any shape, and specifically to a cone?

Thanks for your help,
Andreas

thorsten

Re: Bent Patch Antenna

Post by thorsten » Fri 12 Mar 2021, 23:22

Hi,

the example/tutorial shows the cylindrical mesh and how it can easily simulate a bent patch. But this means it does only work for everything that can be expressed in cylindrical coordinates.
That means no, a cone is not that simple...

regards
Thorsten

anho

Post by anho » Tue 16 Mar 2021, 19:50

Hi Thorsten,

Not that simple, but not impossible?

What would it require to make the antenna conform to any kind of shape?

Thanks!
Andreas

anho

Post by anho » Fri 03 Sep 2021, 06:24

Hi Thorsten,

I was able to run the bent patch antenna on windows (experiencing installation issues under Ubuntu 20, which I posted here: viewtopic.php?f=2&p=4444#p4444).

My question here is:
I am not able to load the 3D field data after the run is completed. I am interested in gain, radiation & polarization pattern, operation bandwidth. It is "3D_Pattern.h5", that I can load into ParaView, correct? I am using ParaView 5.9.0-CR1, and am getting error messages. Which is the right option for the hdf5 loader?

And going back to my original question:
Would the cone geometry work in your view if I left a pin hole at the nose, wo we can still keep everything in cartesian-cylindrical grids?

Thank you for making this awesome tool available as open-source.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated!
Andreas

thorsten

Post by thorsten » Mon 06 Sep 2021, 19:26

Hi,

The "h5" file is a hdf5 file and *can not* be viewed directly by paraview. That file (type) is used to efficiently store numerical data and be accessible by almost all languages. openEMS comes with script to read these files and e.g. convert them to vtk files to be loadable in Paraview. Alternatively you can change the dump format to use vtk directly instead of hdf. Read the help page for "AddDump"

Doing a cone in cylindrical coordinates is not very beneficial as it does not conform to this mesh (only everything cylindrical does). Thus you can better do it in Cartesian coordinates. But defining a thin metal layer (e.g. for an antenna) in a cone shape will be very difficult. openEMS unfortunately is not ideally suited for this. We would need a mapping of thin sheets to the (Cartesian) mesh like we can already do with wires...

best regards
Thorsten