(Newbee) Magnetic field between coils

How to use openEMS. Discussion on examples, tutorials etc

Moderator: thorsten

ivan

(Newbee) Magnetic field between coils

Post by ivan » Fri 23 Jul 2021, 03:39

Hello, everyone.

Is it possible to simulate in openEMS magnetic field between two parallel coils, carring sinusoidal-varying current? Or it can be done only through some approximations? Maybe somebody have already simulated the coil field? :roll:

I have troubles even with adaptation the Parallel Plate Waveguide for magnetic field catching. I've altered the AddDump.. to the AddDump(CSX,'Ht','DumpType',1) , placed the excitation plane between grid units (for agreement with Yee grid principle), but the output in paraview looks like this:
Снимок экрана от 2021-07-20 16-43-12.png
Снимок экрана от 2021-07-20 16-43-12.png (66.25 KiB) Viewed 610 times
Even the size of paraview plane (square) does not compare with AddBox('Ht') (rectangle) for my field dump. What am I doing wrong?

thorsten

Re: (Newbee) Magnetic field between coils

Post by thorsten » Wed 04 Aug 2021, 21:31

Doing real coils with FDTD usually is not a good idea, but it depends on the design of the coils and the frequency of interest.
In any case I always recommend to use a Gaussian pulse and not a sinusoidal excitation, even if you are only interested in a single frequency...

As far as feeding goes, you should always try to feed as close to reality as possible... e.g. connection a lumped port with two of the coils leads...

br
Thorsten

ivan

Re: (Newbee) Magnetic field between coils

Post by ivan » Fri 06 Aug 2021, 04:07

Thank you, Thorsten!

2 rectangular coils with only one loop will be more than sufficient for my purposes. The working frequency should be in range 1000-4000 Hz. Will it be a good value for FDTD? Also I don't clearly understand, how to simulate the current by using the lumped port? The only way is to combine the port with Gaussian electric field Excitation? How to set the E-vector direction in this case? Or current can be simulated more correctly?