Using material for wideband simulation

How to use openEMS. Discussion on examples, tutorials etc

Moderator: thorsten

Gordon

Using material for wideband simulation

Post by Gordon » Wed 04 Aug 2021, 13:53

I want to simulate a PCB and plan to use openEMS for a wide frequency range. As the page http://openems.de/index.php/Dispersive_ ... l_Property states there is the possibility to use dispersive materials. The frequency range I plan to simulate is 100Mhz to 10Ghz with IS400 Material. The datasheet provides dielectric constants for different frequency points. How to I use them to feed the Lorentz Model?

thorsten

Re: Using material for wideband simulation

Post by thorsten » Wed 04 Aug 2021, 21:38

I think there were some matlab script to fit a curve to a Drude/Lorentz model but I'm not sure. In any case this is not an easy task.
Ideally you create an ideal transmission line where you know what the result should look like to...

But to be honest, usually this is not really necessary. It is my experience that the real world divergence between the real PCB values and the manufacturer data sheet is much higher than what you should try to simulate.
Just start with a close mean for your parameter (e.g. at 5GHz) for eps_r and conductivity, build a prototype and gain some experience...
Or if you have some low freq application and one at higher frequencies, maybe do two simulations with optimized parameters for both and see how much a difference it actually makes....

As always, start simple and slowly progress to more difficult and more accurate...

br
Thorsten

Gordon

Re: Using material for wideband simulation

Post by Gordon » Thu 05 Aug 2021, 08:48

Thanks for the quick response. I thought it would be easier to model a PCB a bit more real. Maybe the best idea is to use the IS400 material with the dielectric constant in the region of interest and do a simulation for frequencies around 1Ghz and one Simulation for 5Ghz.