Another question on Tutorial: Parallel Plate Waveguide

How to use openEMS. Discussion on examples, tutorials etc

Moderator: thorsten

thinkless

Another question on Tutorial: Parallel Plate Waveguide

Post by thinkless » Wed 22 Sep 2021, 09:05

After the simulation is done according to this page: https://openems.de/index.php/Tutorial:_ ... guide.html, I tried to visualize the results using paraview, but didn't seem to get the correct result. Could anybody tell me the reason and how to fix it?
Attachments
ParaView.png
ParaView.png (93.25 KiB) Viewed 949 times

MPCEngineer

Re: Another question on Tutorial: Parallel Plate Waveguide

Post by MPCEngineer » Wed 22 Sep 2021, 11:38

Hi,

At the start I struggled with paraview but I found after lots of experimentation it is a very powerful visual aid.

I have not used the parallel waveguide example but my experience as a newbie, you need to ensure you click on the group vtr.

You need look in the colouring section and click on solid color. There is also the same option in the tool bar. Then choose E-Field. Then press play and be amazed at real time e-field animation.

Another great tool is to see the vectors. If you click on your .vtr group there is a Glyph tool on the third toolbar down, seventh tool across. You then make the Glyph visible and press play and watch the e-field vector dance around.

If you have a dumpbox in you script then you can take a slice through your 3D space model and see E or H vectors.

MPC

thinkless

Post by thinkless » Wed 22 Sep 2021, 12:56

MPCEngineer wrote:
Wed 22 Sep 2021, 11:38
Hi,

At the start I struggled with paraview but I found after lots of experimentation it is a very powerful visual aid.

I have not used the parallel waveguide example but my experience as a newbie, you need to ensure you click on the group vtr.

You need look in the colouring section and click on solid color. There is also the same option in the tool bar. Then choose E-Field. Then press play and be amazed at real time e-field animation.

Another great tool is to see the vectors. If you click on your .vtr group there is a Glyph tool on the third toolbar down, seventh tool across. You then make the Glyph visible and press play and watch the e-field vector dance around.

If you have a dumpbox in you script then you can take a slice through your 3D space model and see E or H vectors.

MPC
Thank you for your kind reply. I clicked on the vtr group, and clicked "play" button, but the image is static, it is still a grey rectangle. I guess it may have to do with my last post :viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1105. Can you help me figure out the cause?

MPCEngineer

Post by MPCEngineer » Wed 22 Sep 2021, 13:12

Did you click on SOLID COLOR and then choose E-Field?

thinkless

Post by thinkless » Wed 22 Sep 2021, 13:49

MPCEngineer wrote:
Wed 22 Sep 2021, 13:12
Did you click on SOLID COLOR and then choose E-Field?
Great, this time I toggled "solid color" to E-field and got a moving picture. Thank you!