Cylindrical resonator

How to use openEMS. Discussion on examples, tutorials etc

Moderator: thorsten

map

Cylindrical resonator

Post by map » Thu 15 Mar 2012, 09:48

Hi,

openEMS looks great, I'm however not sure if I can use it for my purpose. Is it possible to simulate resonators, in my case I would like to look at a cylindrical cavity and see the resonance modes and frequencies (1. simple empty cylinder, 2. with an axial entrance and exit hole, and 3. with droplets falling through the cavity ). The problem can be simulated in 2D. By setting PMC boundary condition in angular direction this can probably be realized, right?

Thanks a lot
Manuel

thorsten

Re: Cylindrical resonator

Post by thorsten » Thu 15 Mar 2012, 12:23

Hi Manuel,

I don't see why this shouldn't be possible. You have to think about how to excite the cavity and in case of an empty, closed cavity, the energy may never decay so you may have to abort at some point and use something like harminv http://ab-initio.mit.edu/wiki/index.php/Harminv

In case 3. (falling droplet) you will have to simulate this as a series of simulations (sweep), but this should be easy using the Matlab-Interface...

Yes you can do this as a 2D simulation. But openEMS is fully 3D only, so you have to do a "fake" 2D, this means using 3 lines in angular direction with PMC on the 1. and 3 line. This would allow only H_alpha, E_r and E_z field components, just like you want it, I guess.

Let me know if it works like you hope.

regards,
Thorsten

map

Re: Cylindrical resonator

Post by map » Thu 15 Mar 2012, 15:13

Hi Thorsten,

great, thanks a lot for your real quick reply. I will try to implement your solutions and give you a feedback (will take some time).

Best regards
Manuel