Corrugated Horn Antenna Tutorial for openEMS

How to use openEMS. Discussion on examples, tutorials etc

Moderator: thorsten

PaulUK

Corrugated Horn Antenna Tutorial for openEMS

Post by PaulUK » Mon 02 Dec 2019, 01:58

I have written a tutorial called, A Comprehensive Corrugated Horn Generator and Simulation with openEMS. It is based on the article "Design of Corrugated Horns: A Primer" that appeared in the IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine in 2005 and can be found on the internet. References included in the document.

The tutorial describes the generation of various mode converters and horn profiles with options to choose any of them from within the script. The complete simulation setup is described in (hopefully) enough detail to be useful to simulate other types of horn antenna.

The script will plot the S11 reflection of the horn and a number of farfield plots, including cross polarization and 3D plots. The E-field is plot on two orthogonal planes. Best of all is a plot showing the phi=45 degree farfield along with equivalent simulation results from CST and HFSS and the results are extremely close to one another.

The simulation can take quite a long time to run, so reduce the mesh to 15 cells per wavelength if you are in a hurry. I could not get symmetry planes to work properly yet, but if I do, this would be an ideal example for their use. If anyone has had success using PEC and PMC symmetry planes, please let me know. I hope that you will find this tutorial useful.

Edit: I made a minor addition to the tutorial pdf, adding an alternative way to calculate the horn geometry, see last page of the document.

Hyperbolic Corrugated Horn Comparison CST HFSS.png
Comparison of results between openEMS, CST and HFSS
Hyperbolic Corrugated Horn Comparison CST HFSS.png (46.45 KiB) Viewed 1526 times
Attachments
Corrugated Horn openEMS Tutorial.zip
Corrugated Horn Tutorial pdf, script and plotFFcocx.m function.
(1.41 MiB) Downloaded 79 times
Horn.png
3D Farfield with Horn
Horn.png (292.78 KiB) Viewed 1525 times