Problem with phase accuracy in waveguide polarisers

How to use openEMS. Discussion on examples, tutorials etc

Moderator: thorsten

PaulUK

Problem with phase accuracy in waveguide polarisers

Post by PaulUK » Sun 14 Jun 2020, 13:01

Does anyone know why it requires an extremely fine mesh to get sensible results when simulating various waveguide polarisers?
I'll post some examples when I get chance bit for square cross section corrugated polarisers I require about 80 to 100 cells per wavelength. For circular cross section waveguide I require over 300 cells per wavelength to get sensible results.

Two orthogonal port modes are being simulated and the S-parameters used to calculate the Axial ratio and differential phase.

This was going to be the basis for a polariser tutorial but the way things are going it wouldn't be practical with such huge meshes. Hope there is a solution to this issue. Thanks.

Hale_812

Re: Problem with phase accuracy in waveguide polarisers

Post by Hale_812 » Mon 15 Jun 2020, 01:40

the answer is in your question. circular waveguide requires non-orthogonal meshing

thorsten

Post by thorsten » Mon 15 Jun 2020, 07:39

This sound indeed a bit surprising, but maybe you can supply your script and we can have a look?

In which direction to you need this dense mesh. In all or only in direction of the waveguide or across the cross section?
Do you think that the stair-casing of the waveguide boundaries are the problem?
What value exactly are you looking at? Maybe there is a problem using the correct interpolations?

regards
Thorsten

PaulUK

Post by PaulUK » Mon 15 Jun 2020, 09:18

I shall post the examples that I have done and show their results either later or within a few days. I've just moved to Germany from the UK so things are a bit of a mess at the moment. As soon as I get my computer setup I will post what I have.

I previously did these simulations with CST and HFSS and the results converged well. So I used them as a reference or check that should be the aim of the openEMS simulations of the same structures. For the polariser tutorial I'd like to use openEMS off course.

Thanks.

PaulUK

Post by PaulUK » Mon 15 Jun 2020, 09:23

Hale_812 wrote:
Mon 15 Jun 2020, 01:40
the answer is in your question. circular waveguide requires non-orthogonal meshing
I've used the rectangular mesh with circular waveguide before, but I apply the appropriate circular waveguide port and had no problems.
I didn't use the cylindrical mesh because the slots in the waveguide walls of the polariser are not circular.