usage of different prio is giving entirely different return loss curve!

How to use openEMS. Discussion on examples, tutorials etc

Moderator: thorsten

openems

usage of different prio is giving entirely different return loss curve!

Post by openems » Mon 29 Jun 2020, 11:28

I am giving prio of one metal as 10 and for antenna also 10. Is it matters that the metal which is not at all intersecting the substrate or any other plane. Changing the prio to 5 for metal is giving entirely different curve! Can anybody explain it??
Metal is just a plain floating below antenna and not connected to any other element..

Hale_812

Re: usage of different prio is giving entirely different return loss curve!

Post by Hale_812 » Tue 30 Jun 2020, 07:41

that's weird.
As far as I understand, the engine treats every cell separately, regardless of continuity.

First, I would check the metal definition. It may happen that one is a metal, and another is PEC, or something like that. It may happen also that the air, or substrate has a surpassing priority, and collide with both objects differently.

There is a debug mode which dumps all the cubic cells, for examination in CSXviewer

openems

Post by openems » Tue 30 Jun 2020, 08:19

I am facing this issue for the first time..
I have given prio for antenna & groundplane 10, and was checking for the interference caused by metals near the antenna.. It is just a floating metal, used AddMetal function and imported STL file for the structure.. Is it may be due to STL?? They are not touching anywhere and I have tried with giving prio as 10 and 5. Each of them gave different results!

thorsten

Post by thorsten » Tue 30 Jun 2020, 09:59

I can only recommend to never use the same priority twice. Unless you are 100% sure they do not touch.
STL is a bit tricky as it is unclear what happens if the STL surface is not closed or in others ways not healthy.
Make sure the STL is closed, manifold and so on.
Then add the STL as metal and nothing else and maybe have a look at the "debugPEC" output.
If prio 10 and 5 does make a difference, then this means they are touching. Somehow...

regards
Thorsten

openems

Post by openems » Wed 01 Jul 2020, 11:39

Thanks for the reply!
I will check the debug part..